Toronto March 20, 2012: [Monday] night, senior staff finally released “the numbers” for positions that they claim will be sufficient to staff the Toronto District School Board for the 2012-2013 school year. ”We believe that these cuts will negatively impact student achievement, special education and safety if implemented”, said CUPE 4400 President John Weatherup.
Most severely hit are two Unit C female-dominant job classes, Educational Assistants and School Office Staff. According to [4400's] Unit C Vice President Giselle Burton, “Not only does this mean that hundreds of women will lose their livelihood during these difficult economic times but “last hired / first fired” (laid off) means women of colour will be disproportionally affected” “Those who remain will have to carry an increased workload” she added.
As John Weatherup additionally noted: “The 134 layoffs of School Office Staff will generate massive disruption as several hundred clerical workers will be shuffled to other schools”.
Prior to seeing the TDSB draft budget (and prior to the release of the Provincial funding), the presentation of this staffing model will be tabled at the Human Resources and Professional Learning Committee tomorrow.
Services to be cut include:
* Regular Program Educational Assistants – a loss of 430 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) positions (these are the services that were to be protected for a five year transition period, with several years still to go on that pledge)
* School Office Staff – a loss of 134 FTE positions (both elementary and secondary)
* Special Education – positions will be lost but the numbers are unknown at this time.
* Caretaking – a loss of 10 FTE positions
* School Based Safety Monitors – a loss of 6 FTE positions
* Aquatic – a loss of 2 FTE positions
While it is too late to expect members or even the parents (whose children will be affected by this loss of service) to attend, the meeting is open to the public.
President John Weatherup and a number of other Union officials will be making formal deputations.
Human Resources & Professional Development Committee
Committee Room A, 5050 Yonge Street (TDSB Admin. Building)
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 (tomorrow)
4:45 pm – Deputations (Timed Item)
For More Information:
John Weatherup, President Giselle Burton, Unit C VP Katie McGovern, Secretary
416-902-9266 416-885-2054 416-885-5075
Recording & Corresponding Secretary
CUPE 4400 – Toronto Education Workers
1482 Bathurst St., Suite 200
Toronto, ON M5P 3H1
416-393-0440 x 230